When my boyfriend and I moved-in together it became quite a challenge to combine all of our mismatched belongings in an organized manner. To create a sense of cohesiveness I bought 3 brass candlesticks ($3 each) and two brass lamps ($8 each) at a local Goodwill Superstore. I spray-painted them each with two coats of the “Carbon” colored Rustoleum Metallic Paint and Primer in One. Although each candlestick and lamp are a different design, the matching color brings a consistent style to our small cozy home.
You will need:
- Old rag
- Spray paint with primer
- Layout your tarp outside (because of paint fumes) on a flat surface: table, sidewalk, driveway, etc. (I used an old piece of plywood my dad had laying around and placed it on top of an old table on our patio.)
- Take the candlesticks apart and remove the light fixtures from the lamps.
- Carefully and meticulously sand the surface of each candlestick and lamp getting into every nook and cranny. (This will help the paint to stick.)
- Clean off the dust and any candle wax residue with acetone using an old rag.
- Put the candlesticks back together and set them upside down for the first coat.
- Spray a solid first coat on each candlestick and let dry for several hours. (I waited overnight.)
- Turn the candlesticks upright, spray paint the second coat, and let dry.
- Reattach the light fixtures to the lamps and add lampshades (I got mine from Target).
- Ta dahhhh!